Friday, October 1, 2010

Green Guilt

Ok, so I don't know if you've picked up on this yet, but I am feeling frequent angst about the choices we make that are not green.  In life as well as in our house project.  I don't want to give all of you the wrong impression about our eco-lifestyle... I am constantly guilty of anti-green choices.  For example, I never remember to bring along my stainless steel coffee mug, so I use the paper cups at Starbucks.  I drive a gas-guzzling SUV.  I don't compost.  Sometimes I (gasp!) forget my reusable grocery bags at home and have to use plastic.  This niggles at the back of my brain saying "hey - you're spending all this time greening your house and yet you're using plastic bags?".  So I feel GUILT while packing food to feed my family.  Oh, and by the way the food's not all organic either.


And so I got a little chuckle when I read this article from the New York Times today.  Give it a read when you have a minute.. apparently I am in good company.

I'll sit here and in my non-organic cotton clothing, at my electrically powered computer, on my desk which is not made from FSC certified wood and console myself with the thought that doing anything is better than doing nothing...  Right?


No comments: